Working in Spain

If you are planning to move to Spain and work, you must apply for the appropriate visa. Application processing times vary and you should only make travel arrangements once your visa has been issued.

Read the Spanish government’s guidance on:

   working in Spain as a foreign national

   immigration routes open to foreign national workers (in Spanish)

   how to get a visa

Read the guidance on visas and applying for a visa at the:

   Spanish consulate in London

   Spanish consulate in Manchester

   Spanish consulate in Edinburgh

To apply for a job, you may need to provide a:

   UK criminal records certificate

   Spanish criminal records certificate (Certificado de Antecedentes Penales)

   certificate from the Spanish sex offenders registry (Certificado de Delitos de Naturaleza Sexual) to work with children

   record of your employment history in Spain from Seguridad Social (a Vida Laboral certificate)


working or providing services in Spain

   working in an EU country

   EU guidance on working in an EU country

   guidance on how to get your UK academic or professional qualifications recognised in Spain

   the Spanish government’s guidance on the right of UK nationals to work in the public sector

If you plan to work in Spain, even if you work for a UK-based company, this may affect where you pay National Insurance-type contributions. Read the National insurance and social security contributions section for more information.

If you were living in Spain before 1 January 2021

You have the right to work without a visa, under the Withdrawal Agreement. You can use your TIE or green A4 certificate or credit-sized piece of paper as proof of your right to work.

If you live in Spain and were regularly commuting to work in another EU or EFTA country before 1 January 2021, read our guidance for frontier workers.

Skip to content