Births, deaths, marriage and civil partnerships

If your child is born in Spain, you must register your child as a resident in Spain. You can also register the birth with the UK authorities in addition to registering locally. If your child has British nationality, you do not need to register the birth with the UK authorities to apply for a British passport.

If someone dies in Spain read our guidance on:

   what to do after someone dies abroad

   what to do after a British person dies in Spain

   finding English-speaking funeral directors in Spain

Find out how you can get married or get a civil partnership abroad.

You may also need notarial and documentary services for British nationals in Spain.

Skip to content